Friday, August 3, 2012

"To Blog or Not to Blog"

   There was a sense of irony as I stepped out onto the stage for the Sizzling Summer Spectacular to deliver my monologue. Indeed an idea had been sparked from a comment made by a friend and inspired by none other than a masterful man of imaginatorium that led me to ask a simple question; "To blog or not to blog". Since I am perhaps procrastinating posting for this month, for those who were not in attendance for the show, I feel it fitting to post the monologue below for your viewing pleasure. Let me set the stage: A desk, a keyboard, a notebook and pen, a very large Shakespeare book that I have just finished, a stool and me in huge black rimmed glasses. The book is finished and in a moment of indecision, I know not whether to type my thoughts or merely write them and thus it begins:

To blog or not blog, that is the question.
Whether tis nobler to put fingers to keyboard or suffer the paper cuts and carpel tunnel syndrome.
To blog, to write no more, and by blogging to say we end the novel and the thousands of well worn pages that authors have written?
Tis a consummation not to be wished.
To blog, to write, to blog, perchance to read.
Aye, there's the rub.
For in the writing fury, what words may come when we have shuffled off the pen and paper.
This must give us pause. There's a respect that makes bloggers of so long life.
For who would hear the long winded paragraphs, the endless ramblings, the excessive emoticons, the facebook postings, the twitter escapades, the downfall of Myspace?
When she herself should lift her keyboard and slam it to the ground it utter disgust!
But the dread of something after the screen goes dark, the unread words which no one can read, puzzles the follower and makes us rather furious at the blogger and quickly fly to other social media that we know not of.
Thus conscience does make us read on and thus the social media takes over with the pale cast of thought drawing us in for hours of wasted time.
With this regard, their fingers turn on the computer and dutifully begin to blog.

I do hope that Shakespeare does not roll over in his grave from this particular version of Hamlet's speech. There's a small part of me that thinks it would have made him smile. I hope the effect is the same for you. July's reads to appear soon.

1 comment:

  1. Laura, this is great! I don't think it would make Will roll over at all. You understand how to use the words, you not simply subbing in new ones where the old used to be. It makes sense and I love it.
    xoxo
    Chelsea

    ReplyDelete